Friday, October 15, 2010

More Required Reading


Earlier this week I went to my local branch of Chapters (Canada's answer to Barnes and Noble) with every intention of picking up the new Max's book, but ended up being far more intrigued by the presence of Cherry Vanilla's new autobiography, Lick Me, which I wasn't expecting to be out until November.  I took it home and promptly devoured it--and now I'm not sure whether to file it with the groupie memoirs or on the sacred streetsyoucrossed NYC research shelf, because it covers both of my favorite sub-categories of rock & roll literature equally well.  Not only does she make all the joints whose ads I've been collecting over the last few months come to life, but she manages to infuse all her classic sexanddrugsandrockandroll tales with perfectly blended tones of salaciousness and sensitivity.  Since I'm also a Mad Men fan (not quite a Basketcase, but close), an added bonus was her discussion of her pre-groupie, pre-Pork, pre-Bowie days in the advertising industry, in which she was something of a psychedelic Peggy Olson (according to her, LSD rather than liquor was the social lubricant of choice among her Mad. Ave. peers).  Plus she hails from my home borough--how could I not root for her based on that alone ferchrissakes?  You can see some press and excerpts at her website, but you may as well skip the preliminaries and go straight for the whole book--it's a godsend to the likes of us and you won't be sorry!


3 comments:

NYCDreamin said...

On my way to order a copy right now...

NYCDreamin said...

They had a copy in stock so I picked it up and I'll be reading it later this week I guess. Thanks for the heads up on this one D.C. - looking forward to reading it.

Signed D.C. said...

Good score! I'm chomping at the bit for tomorrow to come, when I can spend my 25% off coupon on a freshly-released copy of Keith Richards' "Life"...or as I'm fond of calling it, "Death Warmed Over."